...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Monday, September 26, 2011

i suppose even Jesus had to start somewhere

Earlier today, I was told I'm an inspiration to the older women in my water aerobics class. Did you catch that? I am an inspiration!

(tip - I find if you blink your eyes a few times to the blinding light you see emanating around me, they'll adjust and you'll be able to continue reading)

(I'll also type louder, too, so you can hear over the sound of angels singing)

I am an inspiration!

Sure, it's just for my stunning degree of flexibility that enables me to reach my hands backward until I can grab my ankles and then pull my legs toward my back, all while floating on my stomach rather than doing something amazing like brokering world peace or curing cancer, but baby steps!

"You give the older ladies hope that they, too, will one day be able to do that," my instructor cheered after class.

Come forward, true believers, and let me touch your head and cure you of whatever ails you!

I'll be honest, though. Baby steps are really all I can take when I'm back on land after pulling off that inspiring move because my flexibility really isn't all that stunning, but don't tell any of those older women in my water aerobics class who clearly need something far, far more incredible to be inspired by. I could use the ego boost!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Well, you've always been an inspiration to me. . .

And tell me, how does it feel to not be included among the 'older women'? . . .

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:27:00 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

PS. . . if you care to drop in on my blog (or even if you don't) I tagged you. . .

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

Inspirations are great, and needed- and so, the next time I'm in the mood to be inspired to flexibility, I'm for SURE gonna call on you!

As it is though, I'll take the inspiration you pass on in other ways, with what you share here, k? :)

Monday, September 26, 2011 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger Logical Libby said...

It's so weird. I saw your face in a piece of toast today.

Monday, September 26, 2011 7:01:00 PM  
Blogger Kate Coveny Hood said...

The world needs more role models like you. Forget about youth and their ability to achieve great things - "older" women being able to recreate Cirque du Soleil moves under water? Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:14:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an inpiration! Yahoo! Can I sing that Chicago song to you now? "Like a knight in shining armor, from a long time ago!"

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:23:00 PM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Aren't you special not being included witht he older ladies.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:31:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

*golf claps* Not Jesus to a child, but to a water aerobics class, no less!

Also - i'm waiting for one of your fanboys to jump on that "flexibility" stuff. Surely I'm not the only one here with the mind of a 13-year-old boy?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:46:00 PM  
Blogger Kevin McKeever said...

Legallyblondemel just ruined my whole idea for a comment.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:38:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am stunned ...

... and inspired.

Friday, September 30, 2011 2:42:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

hey, at least it's not for something like being able to snort milk up your nose and squirt it out your eye. i dunno where that came from. hardly and inspiring thought. i'll leave now.

Thursday, October 06, 2011 8:42:00 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Take it, run with it! How often does anybody hear those words. To be an inspiration is kind of what we were put on this earth to do...or so I'm pretty sure Jesus said...something like that...I'm paraphrasing :) Good job, don't diminish it, it's awesome!

Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Pam said...

Maybe if Jesus had started with water aerobics it wouldn't have ended so badly.
And yes, you are an inspiration. If I tried that move I'd drown.

Saturday, October 08, 2011 1:49:00 AM  
Blogger beth said...

Leave world peace to Miss America....and stick to your flexibility moves. It'll probably be more appreciated at home, too!

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:36:00 PM  
Blogger the weirdgirl said...

Wow, I don't think I can pull off that move in the water!

Monday, October 17, 2011 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Christina Lee said...

LOL! And hey you, over here!! How you be?!? Hope all is well!

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 4:32:00 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I' assuming you're on tour...

Sunday, October 30, 2011 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

You're the meaning in my life. You're the inspiraaaaaaaaaatiooooon...

/cetera

Wednesday, November 09, 2011 5:41:00 PM  
Anonymous dikvipreal said...

Thank you for sharing.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home