...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, December 23, 2011

and every mother's child is going to spy to see if there's a ferrari in the drive

Every November, I turn my sons loose with a sheet of paper and a pen and tell them to give me their Christmas list for the season. My only suggestion for them is to dream as big as they wish, but please, be realistic, for like the little drummer boy, I am a poor boy, too. Or something like that.

As you might expect, their papers are returned to me with some truly pie in the sky requests. Things even I don't have (Hello, illusive iPhone 4s. How you doin', trampoline)! In case my mother has found my blog and is reading this, I'm still waiting for that Barbie Dream House, thanks. I've been a very good girl this year. And the 43 years prior.

I love their lists for this very reason, but I tell them it's like going to our McDonald's, where smiles are listed on the menu board as being free. Each time I go there, you better believe I ask for a free smile, but I've yet to get one, so sorry, my lovelies, but Santa won't be bringing you your much desired Playstation 3 this year (which, yes, sucks because even I want to play Call of Duty MW3 on that thing).

There is one thing on my youngest son's list, saved for the very last, I'm hoping to give him, though, and in the spirit of the season, I hope you're all getting it, too.


May you all enjoy a good Christmas! Not only because you deserve it, but mostly because you can't get a gift receipt for it.

(p.s. - if you were good enough to get an iPhone 4s or trampoline, don't come bragging around my kids, m'kay?)

Labels:

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas! I hope they get the Dippin Dots Makers, mostly because Dippin Dots are flippin' expensive so it would be nice if they could make their own.

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:04:00 PM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

That list is just precious to me. I miss my kids having those lists.

I saw the Dippin Dot machine at Target and seriously thought about buying it for my kids, who love Dippin Dots, but probably only ever had it once because I was too cheap to buy a 4 oz $8 cup of ice cream at an amusement park.

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good Christmas, I hope that you find time to relax and enjoy teh Holiday. Blessings.

He needs to be in tha CSI Agency. Just sayin'

Friday, December 23, 2011 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I hope your family has a good Christmas. Happy Holidays :-)

Friday, December 23, 2011 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Craig said...

I'd be careful about that blizzard maker if I were you. . . Life is hard enough without the wind & snow. . .

Wait. . . my kids are tellin' me it's some kinda ice cream thingy. . . OK, never mind. . .

But I'm down with the whole 'Good Christmas' thing, and I fervently hope you have one. . . One size fits all. . .

Friday, December 23, 2011 4:47:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

I hope you have an excellent christmas- what a wonderful list, I miss that... Hugs :)

Friday, December 23, 2011 6:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Cat said...

I have a measly iPhone4 with no S. I don't brag.

I hope you have a good Christmas and all the other stuff is placed on the back burner for a while. Appreciate the preciousness of your children and their Christmas lists.

Also, I hope you get a Barbie Dream House.

Friday, December 23, 2011 7:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Kate Coveny Hood said...

I always wanted the Barbie pool. I think I was already in my mid-thirties by the time I understood why Santa never thought that was "a good idea".

Love that list! Hope you save them.

Merry Christmas!

Friday, December 23, 2011 10:06:00 PM  
Blogger The Savage said...

You know what's awesome about you?... Everything. Merry Christmas and know I haven't stopped lusting you.

Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:24:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

it is my sincerest hope that you all had that last item.

dippin' dots maker? they sell those? wow, who knew?

Monday, December 26, 2011 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog ☺

HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 2:07:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Merry, merry (ever so slightly belated) Christmas, FADKOG!

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 9:09:00 PM  
Blogger TheLab said...

This list is precious! Your Littles are precious! "Good Christmas" - I pray that it was for all of you.

I realized at some point growing up that my parents/Santa did just fine with Christmas gifts, but whatever I didn't get, I knew my rich and spoiled cousins would get. I bet my parents realized this, too, and thought, "I'll let my sister get her kids the Atari and the Glamour Gals cruise ship, and I'll get mine Skipper - then I'll drop them off at their house on the 26th and all will be well."

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 3:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Backpacking Dad said...

I just said "I miss @fadkog" on Twitter because I totally do.

Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Paula said...

Oh man, I love that list!! I am still waiting for that TV in my room!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 1:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Man, now all I can think about is how much I wish I'd gotten a trampoline!

Thursday, December 29, 2011 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I hope you had a great Christmas, and wishing you a really really happy new year.

Friday, December 30, 2011 8:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home