...for a different kind of girl

silent surburban girl releasing her voice, not yet knowing what all she wants to say about her life and the things that make it spin. do you have to be 18 to be here? you'll know when i know.

Friday, January 06, 2012

if you're happy and you know it, make a list (1)

Happy new year, pals. I trust everyone enjoyed a good holiday season. Only 353 days until we get to celebrate Christmas again! I might need 329 of those to recover from the aftermath of my job, where the spirit of the season was lost on shoppers in the waning days. If you need me, I'm huddled up on the floor between science fiction and romance, muttering to myself.

We chose to keep Christ - and a few other, far less kind words - in Christmas by paying a mechanic more than $600 to replace the rear brakes on my 11 year old used minivan two days after the holiday. Hey kids, you weren't too attached to any of those presents yet, were you? I've still got the receipts right here in my shaking hands!

Good times.

I don't normally do this, but I decided to make some resolutions this year. Are we still talking about our New Year's resolutions? I mean, it's January 6th already. Most of these things, like the rear brakes on my 11 year old used minivan (bitter), have been broken by now, right? I think that tiny pile of candy wrappers on my kitchen counter already today is a pretty good indication I have a greasy (they were miniature peanut butter cups) grip on my goals.

One of the many resolutions I made for 2012 is to think of two things every day that have made me happy in that 24 hour period and keep track of them. I know. It's sort of cheesy, but it gets even more so. I'm tracking my list in a journal I got from Oprah. Seriously. Oprah sent me a journal. For free. Because we're good pals and she knows I have a massive credit card bill looming ahead of me. I've decided to do this because, well, I need the reminder. I need to do this much. I can go through a 24-hour period and not notice even the tiniest bit of good. In the spirit of sharing my cheese (a waxy, generic slice of American), I thought I'd post my list on Fridays. Does that make you happy? Good. Start your own list! In no particular order, here's mine for the week:
  • the way my youngest son, who will be 10 in a few days, still sounds like such a little boy on the telephone
  • the Mike and Tom Eat Snacks podcast
  • the soundtrack to the movie "Drive"
  • taking my dog for a walk by myself at night and peering into neighboring houses (sidebar - people of my community, it is time to take your Christmas trees down!)
  • making a lasagna from scratch (it was delicious)
  • how much my boys talk when it's just the three of us seated around the dinner table at night
  • coffee dates that turn into lunch dates with my friend Monica
  • my friend Monica
  • fortune cookie fortunes
  • writing with pencil
  • people who genuinely thank me for helping them, then stop me later to thank me again
  • that it's January (68 degrees yesterday!) and we've not yet had a measurable snow so far this winter

Pretty exciting stuff, right? I know! Just think, you have this to look forward to EVERY FRIDAY!!

(unless I break this resolution)(except I resolved to floss my teeth - ALL my teeth - every night and I've been doing that hardcore for more than a year, so yep, pretty exciting!)

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Would someone mind sending me a reminder to think of something good? The depression is talking smack again and I need the forced reminder.

Friday, January 06, 2012 9:47:00 AM  
Blogger Craig said...

So, you're jumping on Ms Lime's 'Da Count' bandwagon? 'Cuz the counting of blessings is always a salutary thing. . .

So sorry about the brake job. At least, I hope it renders yer vehicle drive-worthy for another several-thousand miles. . .

And hey, today is the Twelfth Day of Christmas; our tree is coming down tonight (OK, probably tomorrow; Sunday fersure. . .)

Sitting around the table talking with sons is a wonderful thing, and can't be encouraged too vigorously. . .

Blessings to you and yours in 2012 and beyond. . .

Friday, January 06, 2012 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Bijoux said...

Congrats on the flossing!
I walked yesterday and the tree thing is bothering me too!
We've only had about 5 inches of snow this year, which is a mild winter for us.
I miss you!

Friday, January 06, 2012 11:29:00 AM  
Blogger TheLab said...

This is an excellent idea. A friend asked me two years ago to do a Six Word Memoir. We had to write a 6 word-sentence about our day/life/morning/whatever every day for a year. I did it. It's amazing how quickly a full year of my life reads when summed up in 365 6-word sentences. But I cherish it. Maybe I'll do your idea this year.

Friday, January 06, 2012 1:17:00 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

well, i thought about flossing, does that count?

Friday, January 06, 2012 3:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Cat said...

Are you spying on me? Because a little before the time stamp on this post I was talking with my boss about how this year I plan on going day by day and taking note of everything that makes me happy and content and then blogging about it, so that when it comes to December 2012 and I look back at my year I will see happy stuff and not the sheer misery that I have been blogging about for the last 2 years.

I swear to all that is powerful and out there that I had almost this exact same thought/conversation earlier this afternoon.

First we had bookstore experience in common, and now this.

FADKOG... are you my soulmate?

Friday, January 06, 2012 3:55:00 PM  
Blogger Sailor said...

I think affirmations are always a good thing, and so often need a reminder to look for good things, so kudos to you, for this!

Ughh, re: minivan, yuk.. I'll sympathize, two days *before* Christmas, I had to take the truck in for it's annual inspection...

New tie-rods, alignment and tire rotate later...

Friday, January 06, 2012 7:35:00 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Ha! I like the peering into neighbor's windows one. Good to hear what's up w/ you, and go resolutions! I think it is a worthy one. In fact, I think the "think happy thoughts" mantra is just right for this year. Happy, happy fadkog...

Friday, January 06, 2012 7:55:00 PM  
Blogger Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

S'ok, we all need a little secret fromage to keep us afloat. Much like those people apparently need Christmas trees on January 6th.

My moment du cheese today was that my wee tot has started reaching out for my hand automatically when doing tricky moves, because he trusts that I'm there. I'm probably not describing that very well, but realizing that was a priceless, Oprah-cheese moment of my week.

Friday, January 06, 2012 8:12:00 PM  
Blogger anymommy said...

I think keeping track of little happinesses is brilliant. What other kind of happiness is there, really? And coffee dates that turn into lunch dates are magic.

Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger lime said...

yay for the list of happy things. i like it! somedays it's hard eh? but it's like exercise, gets easier with practice.

and just because i am that weird....the word veri made me smile (jambraw)

Sunday, January 08, 2012 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Possum said...

loving this.

Monday, January 09, 2012 3:45:00 AM  
Blogger WILLIAM said...

Happiness breeds happiness.

Monday, January 09, 2012 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Logical Libby said...

I love MATES! I am a very happy viewer (yes, I know, I'm not a viewer)...

And we got new brakes AND new tires!

Monday, January 09, 2012 9:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friends are the best! Also, yay no snow! Sorry, I'm not a skier so I can say that.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 1:52:00 PM  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

Happy new year, oh beloved fadkog.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 6:53:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's a wonderful list! I especially like the lasagna entry.. makes me think it's time to round up the ingredients and make one, too. :-)

I hope you keep up with your resolutions! (Don't ask me how often I floss my teeth.)

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:14:00 PM  
Anonymous pgoodness said...

I like the happy friday list!

I made awesome lasagna last week, too!

Happy New year - even if it is the 12th. :)

Thursday, January 12, 2012 10:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home